Source: Shalom Hartman Institute
About The Shalom Hartman Institute
The Shalom Hartman Institute is a leading center of Jewish thought and education, serving Israel and North America. Our mission is to strengthen Jewish peoplehood, identity, and pluralism; to enhance the Jewish and democratic character of Israel; and to ensure that Judaism is a compelling force for good in the 21st century.
Our work focuses on:
- Judaism and Modernity: Developing compelling Jewish ideas capable of competing in the modern marketplace of identities and thought
- Jewish and Democratic Israel: Ensuring Israel’s foundations as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people, committed to equal rights and religious freedom for all
- Jewish Peoplehood: Forming a strong mutual commitment between world Jewry and Israelis as equal partners in the future of Jewish life
- Jewish Ethics and the Public Sphere: Engaging with national civic life by bringing Jewish ethical teachings to bear on contemporary social challenges
The Institute comprises five independent but interrelated centers:
- The Kogod Research Center for Contemporary Jewish Thought, our think tank, generates ideas and research on contemporary issues of central importance to Jewish life in Israel and around the world.
- The David Hartman Center for Intellectual Excellence cultivates the next generation of thought leaders for the Jewish community.
- The Center for Israeli and Jewish Identity, houses an array of programs that bring about a transformation in the secular and religious Israeli educational system.
- The Shalom Hartman Institute of North America guides, oversees, and implements Hartman research, educational programming, and curricula to the North American Jewish community.
- Two Hartman Institute model high schools in Jerusalem, the Midrashiya High School for Girls and the Charles E. Smith High School for Boys